At the sessions of the Synod of New York and New Jersey, held in the city of New York in October 1817, there was presented and application from the Presbytery of New Brunswick for a division of that Presbytery. In traditional Presbyterian form the request was referred to a committee, who reported in favor to the Synod. The request was approved and the Presbytery of Newton was formed.
The first boundary of Newton Presbytery” began from a line, running from the Delaware at a point a little north of Lambertville, and sweeping, in an irregular circuit, through the counties of Hunterdon, Morris and Sussex, (so as to include Basking Ridge), to the state of New York, and extending from this line to the Pocono Mountain, in Pennsylvania. All the state of New Jersey north of this line, together with the most of the county of Northampton, and all that of Monroe County in Pennsylvania were embraced in this Presbytery.”
The Churches composing Newton Presbytery in November 1817 were: Knowlton, Marksboro, Newton, Hackettstown, German Valley, Fox Hill, Lamington, Baskingridge, Bethlehem, Kingwood, Alexandria, Greenwich, Harmony, Oxford, Mansfield, Pleasant Grove, Flemington, Amwell First and Amwell Second, in New Jersey. In Pennsylvania, Easton, Lower Mt. Bethel, Upper Mt. Bethel, and Smithfield.
The Presbytery of Newton
390 Route 10 West
Randolph, NJ 07869