Presbyters gathered via Zoom on Tuesday, Septmeber 15th for the stated meeting of the presbytery. Highlights of our gathering included:
- Introduction of 3 new pastors by COM. Welcome Rev. Don Brown to Morris Plains, Scott DeCaro who will be ordained this weekend to serve Westminster in Phillipsburg and welcome back Rev. Jacqui Van Vliet in your new service at Madison.
- Worship using liturgies and themes from this past summer’s General Assembly “From Lament to Hope.”
- The report from our General Assembly Commissioners and Young Adult Advisory Delegate.
- The presbytery instructed the trustees to shift the investments of Newton Presbytery to fossil free vehicles.
- Presbyters shared appreciation and congratulations with Rev. Rick Oppelt on the occasion of his retirement. Members of Rick’s congregation at Flanders also shared their memories of their time together.
- Presbyters were elected to serve on Trustees, Committee on Ministry, Missional Ministry Team, and the Permanent Judicial Commission. Thanks to those who agreed to serve!
- The Presbytery Coordinating Team shared an update on the New Jersey Missional Communities initiative. They anticipate that the presbytery will vote on the recommendation at our October Meeting and our own Transition Team continues its work as we prepare. The working group is hosting 2 statewide town halls for those interested to ask questions. Info on the town halls can be found here!
Video of the whole meeting can be found here!
for those who would like to watch it!
The materials for the meeting can be found here!