History

 

The Presbytery of Newton was created in October 1817 during a convention of the Synod of New York and New Jersey. It was decided to divide the northern territory of the Presbytery of New Brunswick into a new presbytery. The original boundary of the Presbytery of Newton was determined to run form the Delaware River north of Lambertville, New Jersey, including all of Hunterdon, Morris and Sussex Counties and parts of Pennsylvania. At that time, the presbytery included 24 churches in New Jersey and 4 churches in Pennsylvania.

churchmapnewton